Limelight – DIY licensing
Limelight is a one-stop online tool that allows anyone to clear cover songs quickly and easily, for one low price. Through Limelight, artists, bands, ensembles, and other groups can get mechanical licenses which allow those groups to manufacture, distribute, and sell recordings of compositions owned or controlled by a third party publisher. License types include: physical (CDs and more), permanent digital download (a la iTunes, eMusic, etc.), and ringtone sales.
Limelight works on your behalf to obtain the proper licenses with the copyright owners and handle all royalty reporting and payment obligations.
Limelight is perfect for:
- Bands or artists covering another artist’s song.
- Church ensembles.
- College and University music schools.
- High School music programs.
- Independent record labels.
- Anyone who wants to distribute or sell digital or physical recordings of.
How Limelight Works
- Fill in a few basic fields about the song or songs you need to license.
- Choose from any combination of the following configuration types:
- Physical (CDs and more).
- Permanent Digital Downloads (a la iTunes and eMusic).
- Specify how many copies will be made of each configuration.
- Easy payment via PayPal. Your final payment will include:
- The royalties due to copyright owners [read more about US royalty rates].
- A one time clearance fee [read more about Limelight’s clearance rates].
- Based on the song information inputted above, Limelight verifies the proper copyright owner for the US.
- Limelight triggers automatic licensing, reaching out to thousands of publishers across the US. These include the Harry Fox Agency (HFA) as well as publishers who are not represented by HFA.
- Limelight generates a Notification of License and sends it electronically to you for reference.
- Limelight prepares the royalty accounting statements and sends royalty payments to publishers. We also follow up with publishers and answer any questions that may arise.